Our Church History: a Dream and a Prayer


Christian Community Church held its first worship service on January 2, 1998 at Purcellville's Loudoun Valley Community Center; from begining with two home groups over a year before this, our pastor, Roland England, had finally achieved a long time dream to plant a church in Western Loudoun County. 

CarrollDorisAfter that first service, Carroll Crim said,"This is God's answer to prayer!"

He prayed ten years for God to birth

a new church in the Purcellville area. Carroll, our first Deacon, was a World

War II Veteran, a true Prayer Warrior and our Church Patriarch!                                                          

In early fall of 1999, a search for a new meeting place led us to Harpers Ferry Road and former home of St. Paul's Lutheran Church; for one dollar we purchased the property with its 1835 field stone church, fellowship hall and cemetery. Upon our initial service in May 2000, a building which was empty for 30 years came to life again! And we

became Christian Community Church 

at St. Paul's! With much restoration, renovations and improvements to follow!

Carroll and Doris Crim pictured here in their Purcellville home. Doris as of December 18, 2015, and Carroll as of December 25, 2016 are now absent from us, being present with the Lord! 


Prior to our start up, Roland served Trinity UCC in Winchester with his ministerial standing in the Shenandoah Association. The Central Atlantic Conference agreed the new congregation would be able to affiliate with Shenandoah although our congregation is located closer to UCC Churches in the Catoctin Association such as St. James UCC in Lovettsville. Link to Central Atlantic Conference

In 2010 we celebrated Ten years at St. Paul's and the church's 175th Anniversery.




Tommy Reed is our stone mason, Bill Moore made the time capsule;

Roland offers a prayer before it is placed in the wall behind the cornerstone.




St. Paul's was built in 1835. Nearly 30 years later on a cold winter night during the Civil War, January 9, 1864, John S. Mosby and his Confederate Rangers planned to attack Major Henry Cole's Union camp three miles north of St. Paul's at Loudoun Heights. Near midnight, Mosby, in planning for the raid, met Confederate scout Frank Stringfellow at St. Paul's before proceeding to attack the Union camp. Keith Rocco's painting depicts the scene. 

© 2018 Christian Community Church -- UCC Church in Purcellville, VA
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community